Friday, March 7, 2014

YO JOE! The World’s first action figure turns 50!

Original cartoon series. (Photo courtesy of Hasbro)




G.I. Joe” has given 50 years of fond childhood memories to many around the world. Playing with the action figures, and video games, watching the cartoons, and reading the comics was only the beginning as we imagined ourselves as our favorite G.I. in backyard wars of yesteryear.


  Happy birthday Joe! Introduced to the world by Hasbro Inc. at the New York annual toy fair in 1964. Nearly overnight the original “movable fighting man” became a major seller and a beloved child’s toy that remains a popular brand and continues to be eagerly sought after today.

  There are always a few special items in every child's life. Sometimes a favored dolly or blanket, a game or a toy that still holds that bit of magic for us even as an adult. One such item for myself ; actually I should say many items, was my collection of G.I. Joe’s.

  Even now as I think back about my formative years I am once more hiding behind couch cushion forts. My brother and I signaling troops and moving battlefronts as we made sport of war. We would enthusiastically reconstruct the events we had enjoyed from the show or read in the comics. The American fighting force of Joe’s battling this weeks evil machinations of Cobra Commander and his legions. Awash in the glorious world of Saturday morning cartoons.

Original Production G.I. Joe. (Photo courtesy of Hasbro)

Sure I can mention some other contenders for our action packed living room free for alls;
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers, or Masters of the Universe to start. None of these though would hold the same air of dignity and command of respect as those most courageous and noble G.I.’s. 


Don Levine, G.I.Joe creator. (Photo courtesy of Hasbro)
 Don Levine, who was integral in the formation of G.I. Joe, was himself a veteran of Korea. Many of his colleagues were also veterans of various military backgrounds. Due to this, it was decided that the first production Joe’s would represent the four various branches of the U.S. military.

Levine, who was then Hasbro’s head of research and development, is often credited as the “father” of G.I. Joe. Levine’s determination to see the product through from development to marketing was the reason the company “broke their mold” and finally decided to begin production on the original 11½-inch, 21 movable articulation point Joe’s. These figures would come with accessories appropriate to their respected military branch with such things as guns, hats, grenades, and vests.

The original toy's for each used military branch. (Photo courtesy of Hasbro)
Since its inception, G.I. Joe has generated massive fanfare and even more massive merchandising on a global scale. Spawning several cartoons and comic books, a G.I. Joe Collectors Club, and an annual convention known as GIJoeCon. The toy has also recently enjoyed the fame of two major Hollywood movies.


When Joe followed there war of toy dominion “into the Stars” so to speak and scaled down their figures to meet the new market created by George Lucas and the Star Wars figurines, did that stop our love for the figure? No, it renewed it like never before. Now our Joe’s could battle by the droves. Now all new forces could be brought to bay with vehicles and battle bases galore. More and more we began to be shown G.I Joe as a force of good for the world, not just as America's hero, but one to be shared with all.




G.I. Joe was elected into Toy Hall of Fame in 2004, six years after Barbie was enshrined.


Hasbro announced the details of its 50th anniversary plans during this year's Annual Toy Fair in New York on Feb. 16 through 19. The celebration will continue in Texas at the GI Joe Con 2014 on April 10 through 13.


"Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!”



Additional Information

gijoecon.com/tx2014/

hasbro.com/gijoe/en_US/

facebook.com/TheGIJoeMuseum


gijoeclub.com/forums/

No comments:

Post a Comment